Monday, May 26, 2008

The Value of a Human Life: $129,000 or $500,000

Background
From Times, Stanford economists have demonstrated that the average value of a year of quality human life is actually closer to about $129,000, from the Medical Insurance's value of $50,000. However, the US Government pays $500,000 death benefit to a dead sodier's family.
Once upon a time, on a sunny evening with a distant rainbow in the east, sitting on the wet green lawn near the roses, Albert and Trebla went into an argument AGAIN...

Albert:Is there a value to a human life?
Trebla:Yes.
Albert:How much do you worth?
Trebla:Couple of Billions, may be
Albert:How much do I worth?
Trebla:A few hundred, at most!
Albert:What? Explain!
Trebla:I am a beautiful lady. If I marry a rich guy, he may be willing to spend billions to save my life. You are just an ordinary man. Nobody really cares about you. You are worthless.
Albert:Hey, remember, we are twins. You carry the same gene as me!
Trebla:But value is subjective.
Albert:Aha, that's why *I* worth Billions and *you* only worth hundreds.
Trebla:The question is *should a third party judge the value of one's life*?

Labels: